Grandfather of Missing 20-Month-Old Killed in Hit-and-Run

Weeks after a 20-month-old boy went missing in Georgia, his grandfather died in a drowning accident.

Mr. Henry Dale Moss was killed in a car crash early Wednesday morning, Burke County Sheriff’s Office Capt. Jimmy Wilds confirmed to PEOPLE.

Also Read :  What happens when North America wants to be at football’s greatest party…while still calling it soccer

The Georgia State Patrol, which is investigating the case, also confirms to PEOPLE that Moss was “injured at the scene” and his family has been notified.

Moss’ body was found at 7:20 a.m. local time Wednesday off Highway 23 in Burke County, Wilds told NBC News.

Also Read :  Republicans favored to win U.S. House in close-fought midterm elections

“Preliminary investigations show that the man was hit by an unknown vehicle on the side of the road,” he added.

Quinton Simon.
Chatham County Police Department

Authorities say Dale, known as “Bubba,” appeared to have been hit shortly after 5:30 a.m., news station WRDW reported.

According to Fox3 Now, he was hit by a flat tire on his way home.

The incident comes as authorities and relatives search for Quinton Simon, Moss’ grandson, who has been missing since last month.

Moss’ niece, Kailyn Clifton, mourned both tragedies on Facebook.

“To say what my family has been through over the past month would be an understatement,” he began. “So much heartache and sadness.”

She continued: “So let me start by saying please pray for Bubba and Nicole. Losing baby Quinton, their mom (Brandi) and their dad (Uncle Henry) all within a month is so hard for one person. I can never handle them alone. I will not allow.

“My uncle was hit by a car this morning. The man didn’t stop.”

Quinton Simon.
Chatham County Police Department

He went on to hail Moss as “special,” recalling that “he and my dad were the same bean.”

She described the last time she saw her brother alive, writing in part: “Uncle Henry has been with me all my life, just on Saturday he kissed me on the head and hugged me and asked about my baby. I went out with him and my family to eat in Mexico. I’m so excited. I’m glad.”

On October 5, Quinton went missing from the playpen inside his home in Savannah, Georgia. His parents realized Quinton had left at 6 a.m. that day and reported him missing.

Four weeks later, as the Chatham County Sheriff’s Department and others dig through “thousands of tons of trash” at the landfill, authorities said Wednesday that it may not be found.

RELATED VIDEO: Missing Quinton Simon’s body may not be found despite ‘intense’ search of landfill, police say

“We knew going into this landfill search that the chances of finding Quinton’s remains were low,” the department wrote on Facebook and Twitter. “Most landfill searches do not end with recovery due to many factors, including the amount of waste to search and compaction, but we focus.”

Police added that the boy’s mother, Leilani Simon, 22, remains the prime suspect and said “everything still points” to her remains being found at the landfill. Leilani has not been charged.

Want to stay up to date with the latest crime news? Sign up for PEOPLEs free True Crime Bulletin for the latest crime news, ongoing trials and details on intriguing unsolved cases.

In an Oct. 25 interview with local broadcaster WTOC-TV, Simon said he wanted his son to recover “happy and alive.”

“We want him back in our hands, holding us back. That’s what we want,” he added.

“We’re just hoping that she’s at someone’s house and they’re taking care of her, maybe they want to have a baby or they can’t have a baby,” she told the station. “Maybe they thought he was his savior. That’s our best hope.”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Articles

Back to top button